The ICC has made an allowance for Marlon Samuels to bowl in the second ODI against Sri Lanka, although the match is being played outside the 14-day grace period allowed for bowlers reported for a suspect action.
The ICC said the exception was made because “the West Indies team was incorrectly advised that he was eligible to bowl in this match”, and that West Indies had “selected the team based on this information.” After this match “Samuels will not be allowed to bowl in international cricket until the results of his assessment are known,” an ICC release said.
Earlier on Wednesday, the West Indies management expressed concern after being told Samuels was not allowed to bowl only after the match had begun. They said match referee David Boon had conveyed to them that the second ODI would be played inside the 21-day grace period afforded to reported bowlers.
The West Indies management said they had taken Boon at his word. However, following a rule change this year, that grace period had been shortened to 14 days, which meant Samuels’ grace period had already expired.
Samuels has not bowled in Sri Lanka since being reported, but his bowling may be required for the second ODI as allrounders Jason Holder and Andre Russell were both unavailable for selection.
Samuels was reported for a suspect action on October 19, but is understood to have no plans to undergo a biomechanical test until the team travels to Australia for their series which begins next month.