Discussions between the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) over the BCCI’s US$42 million compensation claim for abandoning the Test and ODI series in India last year have been going well and both parties could arrive at a resolution by the end of the month.
This was revealed yesterday by WICB CEO Michael Muirhead, who said the regional body is very hopeful of resuming bilateral relations with the BCCI.
“Discussions have been going very well. When we meet in Barbados this month we are hoping to have a resolution finalised and documented. Beyond that I can’t say anything,” Muirhead said in a brief telephone interview.
Last year, tensions between the BCCI and the WICB erupted after the Dwayne Bravo-led Windies ODI team pulled out of the five-match series after the fourth ODI in Dharamsala on October 17 due a pay dispute.
The Windies were also scheduled to play a Twenty20 and three Tests on the tour of India.
The BCCI subsequently slapped a US$41.97 million claim on the WICB and also suspended bilateral relations with the WICB until the dispute is resolved,
Muirhead explained that representatives of the BCCI will be in the Caribbean attending the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Annual Conference which will take place in Bridgetown, Barbados from June 22-26 June.
“At that time we will conclude discussions with BCCI because I will go to the chief executives meetings and the president will go to the board meetings so we will see all the heads of the various cricket delegations,” said Muirhead.
However the WICB CEO noted that the discussions with the BCCI will be separate from the ICC Annual Conference.
“It will be separate. This is a BCCI and WICB issue and we will deal with it with BCCI while they are here,” Muirhead added.