Wavell Hinds is the new president of the Jamaica Alumni Association of High Schools (JAAHS), the umbrella advocate group representing Alumni and Past Students Associations in Jamaica.
Hinds, former West Indies left-hand batsman, is the current president of the Camperdown Alumni Association (CASTAC). He is the fourth president of JAAHS since inception in 2017.
He replaced Carla Myrie, who after serving as JAAHS president for two years, did not seek re-election.
Hinds who is also the current president and CEO of West Indies Players’ Association extended congratulations to all the newly elected and returned members of his 2022-2024 Executive Committee.
“I am grateful for your vote of confidence and look forward to your continued and unwavering support during my tenure as your president,” Hinds said following his election on Saturday, February 19.
Now that the election dust is settled, Hinds says his administration will now turn its attention towards continuing the work of encouraging and fostering the establishment, maintenance and improvement of Alumni associations in the country’s secondary schools.
JAAHS was established in 2017 to represent its members as an advocate group on issues of national importance that impact secondary schools.
The 1980 Education Act provides for members of Alumni and Past Students Associations to be elected to serve on school boards.
President Hinds is supported by newly elected Executive Body:
- Yolette Barnett of Wolmer’s Girls Alumnae, 1st Vice President
- Albert Ferguson of Anchovy High School Past Students Association, 2nd Vice President
- Phillip Clarke of Meadowbrook High School Past Students Association, Secretary
- Frederick Sutherland of Dinthill Technical High School PSA, Treasurer
- Rosemarie Dixon of Excelsior High School Past Students Association, Assistant Treasurer
- Jennifer “Jenny Jenny” Small of York Castle Alumni, Jamaica Chapter, Public Relations
- Carla Myrie of Hampton Old Girls’ Association, Immediate Past President
- Dr. Tameka Stephenson of Convent of Mercy “Alpha” Academy, elected member
- Karen Spence of Immaculate Alumnae Association, elected member
-Loop Jamaica News